Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

Yeah, so I don't post for ages, and then I come back with one of those assy meme things.

Here’s what I want you to do:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding, if boudin noir counts
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp* -- Have I had carp? No idea.
9. Borscht (though I don't really like it)
10. Baba ghanoush (another dislike)
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart (Lucky Dogs!)
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes If Japanese plum wine counts.
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes (got some in the kitchen right now!)
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda (I take it Ro-Tel doesn't count?)
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi (one of the things I really didn't expect to like in India, but I loved them!)
34. Sauerkraut (I need to just get over my fear of pickled cabbage already - I have an aversion to both this and kimchi)
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (VOM. Literal vom. Not pretty. If I'm going down, I want it to be with something good.)
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects (well, there are stories about my culinary experiments with bee sushi, al fresco, as a toddler. but not since I was potty trained, no.)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel (Unagi. Nom. ^^ )
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV Fin Du Monde, baby!
59. Poutine (double nom.)
60. Carob chips (why on earth is this on here? how random...)
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads Well, it could happen, but maybe after I work up my courage by trying all the weird Japanese things on the list first.)
63. Kaolin After taking it to Wikipedia, I discovered that this is a food additive, and thus yes, I'm sure I've eaten it. EZ Cheez, anyone?
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake (triple nom.)
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain (AKA tostones, which is easily my favorite Spanish word to say.)
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette (the correctly spelled "chitterlings" always cracks me up. Silly brits! They're "chitlins"!)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini I've recently started thinking about how much I love caviar.
73. Louche absinthe (though I usually just stick to Pastis)
74. Gjetost, or brunost (Tried to make this once. It was foul. Damn vikings and their freaky cheese residue.)
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. -- Daddy, can I have...?
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare (I have a feeling rabbit doesn't count -- was just reading about this the other day...)
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam No way. This might be the biggest reason I left the south. Not Doing It. No.
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

My score is 32, which amazingly enough is better than Jaque Pepin's daughter Clothilde! Take that, offspring of famous chef who is now a cookbook author in her own right!

No comments: